Sunday 4 November 2012

Ice skates

 Today my swelled-up foot had deflated enough to fit into an ice skate - so we went ice skating.
 At the John Nike Centre, most things are made of plastic. You queue up to get the (normally young and skinny) girl to swap your shoes for skates, and if you're lucky you get the comfortable red and grey skates rather than the stiff blue ones. Today we weren't lucky. Then you sit on the low black plastic lockers and put them on before walking through the seating area with yellow and blue plastic seats, past the cafe also with yellow plastic seats, and onto the ice rink itself.
 There's music pounding out. There are some little kids stumbling around trying to find their feet on the ice, and some other annoying kids who zoom around and go backwards on their head and things like that, because they're the ones who have been taught to skate since they could walk. There are always some boys who love to do sharp turns at high speed to kick up as much spray as they can - kshhhhh. It goes dark and there are coloured spotlights; the kind that give you three shadows, all different colours. Once you've remembered your technique, you start to go round. Occasionally you go straight through a spotlight, and it's like you've been singled out on the rink; only you.
 As you can see, I quite like ice skating.
 Incidentally, this made me think of a story that I've sadly neglected - there's a subplot based on ice skating in there which I had completely forgotten about. While I was zooming around the ice, all the time I was working on a scene from this story. When I wasn't doing that, I was thinking about a scene from a different story. Really, I don't stop thinking about stories for more than ten minutes at a time.
 When we got home, we had a Sunday roast and I made the dessert. When I cook, there's always something that I do stupidly wrong. Once I accidentally boiled margarine. Once I left a sponge cake in the microwave until it went flat and soggy. Today, I forgot to put an egg in. =0. I did add an egg at the last minute.
 By the way, this is my blog's 1-week anniversary. Thanks to the mystery person in the USA who's stuck with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment