Monday 12 November 2012

Guiding

    For want of anything better to write about, this is the history of my time at Girl Guides.

    For the first two years that I was there we had a leader who called herself Kingfisher. She was a pretty good leader, I suppose, but she never knew what trips she should take us on or what to do with us because "Guiding had changed a lot since her day". She moved on to work with the Senior Section, leaving her two assistants to look after us lesser mortals. I view that period of time as a shambles. We didn't really achieve anything; I found it annoying because they were getting us to do things to fill in time rather than because they were useful, and by that time a lot of people had left, leaving me as the oldest Guide among a bunch of small kids.
  
   Then we got a new leader, and she is really old fashioned and calls herself Heather (she studies fungi at college. Fungi? Each to their own). I found her annoying too because she was patronising, and although she was definitely a good leader, every time I started to warm to her she did something which reminded me of how annoying I actually found her. At least she remembered to give me my third-year badge, though.
 
   I was SERIOUSLY annoyed when the Guide unit voted for Patrol Leaders (that means you get to be in charge of about six kids). I had been keeping the kids under control for months now; I was the oldest; I was the most experienced; I was pretty good at it. And I like it when people do what I say, hahahaha. Guess who got the most votes? I did. But they couldn't give the job to me, because they didn't know if I actually wanted it or not, because I was in France. So they let another girl be the patrol leader.
   Whenever she's faced with a decision though, she looks to me.
  
   When I came back from France, the activity we were doing at Guides was to fill a shoebox with five things that say something about you and then talk about them to the other Guides. In my shoebox, I had:
  • A thimble, because I collect them
  • My bike keys, because I like cycling
  • A fineliner pen which was one of the first things I actually went into a shop and bought, which is a big thing because I'm terrified of talking to people who I don't know - and I use it for my drawings
  • A drawing I did which all the girls thought was great, although I don't think it's that good myself
  • A makeshift notebook in which I write my stories, because writing is the most important thing in my life.
 The presentation was actually on the same day as the practise for my speaking&listening GCSE. So I thought, I've already done the big scary GCSE, let's just get this one over with. And I did.
  Also, I asked Heather about doing my Baden-Powell challenge which is the biggest award in Guiding, and the one that I actually joined up to do. So that is good progress that I am talking about doing it now. While I was talking to Heather about that, she said that I'd been the most confident one when doing my shoebox presentation, so would I like to become a Young Leader?
  My reaction was something like this.

       O_O


I've told you that I was annoyed that I couldn't be the Patrol Leader. Now here's my chance. I hope we get that sorted out pretty soon.
 

  Finally, sorry for this long and rather boring post, but like I say, I love to write.



No comments:

Post a Comment