Wednesday 31 October 2012

Halloween and elf shopping

 Have you ever gone shopping dressed as an elf?
 It wasn't a very good Halloween costume, and I took it off before I could take a photo. But, in the shop, I didn't actually get any funny looks because people wear all sorts now, don't they? You see a man walking along with silver spike cuffs all up his arm and jeans that you could strain tea through, and it's not that unusual.
 On the way home from the shop, I was in the car with my two sisters, my brother and my mum, and our car broke down. Yay! We pulled over into a weird little side street and rang my dad, who was at work with our other car. Then we sat in the dead car for half an hour, outside some sort of Polish supermarket. My mum said that there were a lot of Polish immigrants in this area. The houses were ancient Tudor-style terraces; the kind where one family gets about a two-metre-wide part of the house and one broken-down fance - there's an area like that in every town. The area intrigued me. I could have written a story about that area; one with an amusing romantic subplot.
 Then, after my little brother and sister had gone well and truly ballistic from cabin fever, my dad arrived.
 So that is another memory for the collection: I was 13 when I was first trapped in  a broken-down car.
 When we got home, I took Harriet and Lucas trick-or-treating, dressed as an elf, a wizard and a vampire bunny. We had so much fun; it was a great laugh.
 No, that is a lie. I had a really rubbish Hallowevening. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but really Halloween is just a bunch of kids in cheap, unconvincing outfits running around in the rain begging strangers for sweets.
 God, the doorbell's just gone off for the sixth time. My poor dog. He loves it when visiters come, and he's getting frantic and confused when none of them stay to fuss over him. He's a black dog, three-quarters cocker spaniel and one quarter poodle, one year old and called Caleb. Thank you for making my viewcount get to 15!




















No comments:

Post a Comment